Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pin 28–vanilla cuts down paint fumes

I’ve done enough painting to come to terms with the smell.  I actually kinda like it , which makes me weird I’m sure.  But it’s definitely not good to be in a closed spaced with paint fumes for long.  I’ve been trying to buy vanilla in paintlow or no VOC paints to help with this but it’s really hard to totally escape the smell.  THIS PIN says that adding vanilla extract to paint will make it smell nice instead.  I love the smell of vanilla – probably because it usually comes with dessert!  So it seemed like a great possibility.

I was a bit worried that the color of the extract would change the my paint color since I was using a shade of white so I decided to use clear vanilla that you can find at any store that sells cake decorating supplies. 

I have to say that there was not the teeniest noticeable difference, even after at least 2 oz.  Maybe I could’ve added more but the paint is expensive enough I’m not going to waste a few dollars pouring vanilla into it!

Bottom line – waste of time

I honestly couldn’t even smell the vanilla after stirring the paint.  Extracts are not exactly cheap and I know my paint wasn’t so I just wasn’t willing to possibly ruin the paint and waste all my vanilla.  Had I a darker hue of paint I might have been a little more daring so please give me a shout if you’re willing to dump ounces of vanilla into your paint!!

Bonus paint pin tomorrow!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment