Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pin 24–Simply Great Chicken

IMG_8374I was immediately attracted to THIS PIN for 2 reasons.  First, it’s minimal ingredients (3), all of which I generally keep on hand (brown sugar, italian dressing mix, and chicken breast).  Second, it’s not a lot of fuss.  2-3 steps depending on how detail oriented you are, but super easy.  Also, this chicken apparently tastes so good that whoever invented it didn’t bother with any sort of abstract name, just went with ‘Simply Great Chicken.”  That’s just good marketing.

So I got my lazy behind into the kitchen one night trying to figure out what I would make for dinner considering I hadn’t thought about it all day and had no idea what I could conjure up.  I saw this in my pins just a bit earlier and decided it was the night to try it.  The recipe is to simply rinse and dry your chicken breasts (3 lbs) and place in greased pan.  Mix together 1 package italian dressing and 1/2 cup brown sugar then coat the chicken and top with the rest.  I made a couple minor adjustments to suit my needs/ and preferences.  I cut up the chicken to cut down on baking time and I doubled the brown sugar and italian dressing.  I like there to be a sauce whenever possible.  I baked at 350 degrees for approximately 25 min (vs 50-60 per recipe).  Check it out during baking. MMMMMMM.

IMG_8370

So I probably cooked a bit longer than necessary but I wanted to make sure that the sauce really candied onto the chicken.  I decided to serve it over rice, which ended up being an excellent call if I do say so myself.

IMG_8380

Bottom line – YUUUUUUUUUUUUM!

This chicken really is simply great.  It’s sorta sweet and sour chicken tasting, only maybe more sweet and spicy?  Perfect over rice.  It’s super easy and tastes so good.  I’m sure kids would love it too.  You could easily add veggies to it at some point during the baking time, or, as I plan to try next time, cook it all in a pan like stir fry.  Totally worth trying.  I’m looking forward to eating the leftovers.  Many thanks to Katy at Food For a Hungry Soul for posting and ending up on Pinterest :)

Don’t forget to save room for dessert!

Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. I don't know quite how I stumbled across you, but I'm excited to follow. Sort of a "Snopes" for Pinterest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks and so glad you did! come back soon and share with your friends :)

      Delete
  2. do you add liquid to the brown sugar/italian dressing?

    ReplyDelete