Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pin # 14 Baking corn instead of boiling

pinI am not a huge fan of corn on the cob, or corn in general.  Ok, that’s a huge understatement and if you know me you are actually laughing right now.  I’ll spare the rest of you the details but let’s just say I don’t eat corn. Ever.  The only thing I can say I like about it is how it smells when butter is melting on it.  But then again, when does melting mutter not smell wonderful!
I do, however, have to prepare corn on the cob from time to time and particularly despise the whole husking and corn silk sticking to you thing.  So I saw this pin and thought it could be fab.
Hubby wanted some corn and wanted to let the little guy try to eat it off the cob.  Our son had recently gotten a hold of a pretend corn on the cob and he just kept trying to bite into it so my husband decided we had to provide the real thing ASAP.  So, ta da, corn in the oven.IMG_7861
Corn after the oven.
IMG_7865
Hot corn steaming up my camera.
IMG_7867
Ends cut off.
IMG_7871
Post peeling off the husk.
IMG_7873IMG_7874IMG_7878IMG_7879
Bottom line – Do it!
My dislike for corn aside, this worked great.  I would especially say go for it if you’re making a lot of corn at once.  My husband said the flavor and texture was great and I thought it looked great.  Cutting off the very end is no biggie and sliding off the husk is easy too.  It doesn’t come off without effort like the pin sorta suggests, and there is a bit of silk you still need to contend with, but all in all a fast easy way to deal with it.  I love fast and easy.  Fast and easy and cheap.  I’m only talking about food preparation here… and maybe crafts… and yard chores… ok so I’m a big fan of fast, easy and cheap but who isn’t?? (:
Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize there was a pin for this, but I've been using this method for a few years now and I love it. I soak the corns (husks on) in cold water for about an hour before. Then stick them in the oven until they're done. Mmmm! So yummy!

    Also, I peel the husk down, and use the bottom for the holder, instead of cutting the bottom off. It works better than using cob holders.

    Kudos for cooking food for your family that you don't like. I need to be better about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Did you use any professional tricks to attract more readers your blog on a daily basis? Can't wait to see your reply.

    ReplyDelete