I’ve seen this pin a lot. I always read it and sort of dismissed it because it seemed too simple, too easy. Supposedly all you need for delicious caramel is a can of condensed milk. Mmmmm warm caramel. One of my favorite things to put on my ice cream! So you submerge the whole can in water in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. It took me a while to do this one because it requires thinking ahead, at least 8 hours ahead, which is not my strong suit. Finally I did remember and so here are my thoughts.First, right on the label it says to not heat the can. Hmmm, pourquoi? It gives no reasons. Without some symbols for radiation or poison I thought I’d take my chances. Nothing exciting happened, good or bad. It just looked like a can in hot water. For 8 hours. By the end it did look a little suspect, with what looked like either leaking caramel or rust on the can. It took me a few minutes to determine how to take it out of the crockpot. Super hot water and super hot can…. tongs? Nope. Hands? absolutely not. Slotted spoon? Winner! Definitely the best option. After getting the slippery sucker out I put it in a bowl to cool, and honestly, forgot about it for at least an hour. At dessert time I had an epiphany and ran to get some ice cream with caramel sauce.Just opening the can the caramel started oozing out looking fabulous. It’s a bit thicker than the store bought stuff and lighter in color. Honestly a little less appetizing to me. So I scooped some out, drizzled on the ice cream and took a bite. Yum. Is it the best I’ve ever had? Nope, not really a contest. But it is good. And it’s easy and cheap! A can of condensed milk will run you maybe $1-1.50. And it’s unattended cooking which is easy. (:Bottom line – great short cutNot the most impressive caramel sauce ever, but still tasty. It’s a super short cut that’s cheap and easy, as long as you can think at least 8 hours ahead. I’m also wondering how long it will keep. I imagine in a sealed container in the fridge it would last long enough. Long enough to eat all of it that is.Stephanie
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Wooo Hoooo! Hi everyone! I have lost track of time and gotten off track with my pins but I’m posting for a different reason today. The lovely lady Sarah over at Our Next Great Adventure has nominated me, or Pin Busting, for a “7 Things About Me” award! As a nominee, I must, yes you guessed it, share 7 things about me. (:
Check out Sarah’s great blog about her day-to-day musings and DIYs and recipes…. she really is a jack of all trades! I mean this pic alone gives you an idea of all her fabulous posts! So I now have to share 7 things about me….
1. I have an insane sweet tooth. Sometimes I want to literally scoop out a spoonful of sugar but usually settle for a spoonful of Fluff which seems to be more socially acceptable.
2. I have a strong lazy streak that must not be indulged. If I manage to keep it curbed I’m good, but the second I indulge it it’s like a bad addiction. I imagine it’s what people who give up carbs go through. It’s also why I am so excited to never scrub my tub again!
3. I have seen Back to the Future so many times I can nearly recite the entire thing. It’s one of the best movies ever.
4. When my sister was born, my parents had to pretend around me that her name was Gabrielle because that was the name I chose and they had planned on until my brother suggested Jennifer instead. Stupid brothers right?
5. My husband was my first crush. In second grade. We chased each other on the playground and everything.
6. When I was younger and people asked “what do you want to be when you grow up?” I would answer all kinds of things but really the only thing I ever really WANTED to be when I grew up was a mom. I think it’s because my mom is so incredible, and she made it look so easy!
7. I have a thing for linens and dishes. It’s almost impossible for me to turn them down at yard sales, or at the very least pet them all wishing I could either afford or find someplace to store them.
So that’s 7 things about me… now check out my 7 nominations!
So the rules for the nominated are these : 1. Thank the blogger who nominated you. 2. Tell everyone seven things about yourself. 3. Choose 7 other blogs that you think deserve the award, and post on their blog to let them know they’ve been nominated.
So that’s it for today and hopefully tomorrow I’m back on track for busting some pins! Thanks again to Our Next Great Adventure for the nomination!! So thrilled to be nominated for anything!